Online therapy: 7 things you need to know
Searches for psychologists have steadily increased since the Covid pandemic and its various confinements. To varying degrees, loneliness, isolation and the necessity to telecommute in sometimes complicated conditions are taking their toll on all of us. It is also quite normal for you to have many doubts or questions. Feeling bad, sad, or overwhelmed by an overflow of emotions? How difficult is it for you to step back and set important goals? Feeling lost? It may be necessary for you to seek the help of a professional in order to get through this challenging and painful phase. By choosing to call upon an online psychologist, you can now access this expertise at a lower cost and from the comfort of your home. Please don't hesitate to ask for help and to learn everything you can before getting a remote consultation.
Remotely consult with a psychologist
1. Everyone can benefit from online psychological consultations
Psychotherapy online may be more convenient than in a private practice for several reasons:
- The wait for a consultation is becoming longer and longer in your region.
- You live in an area without medical facilities or professionals.
- Your mobility is limited due to health problems.
- You are confined to your house: agoraphobia, quarantine, confinement, house arrest, etc.).
- You are traveling, on vacation or living abroad.
- It's hard for you to be flexible because of your overloaded schedule.
2. Identify the reasons for consulting an online psychologist
It is imperative to pay attention to the following symptoms whenever you are considering psychological care:
- You feel a deep sadness that saps your motivation.
- You have low self-esteem and only see what's wrong with you.
- Anxiety, fear, and panic attacks become more frequent.
- You realize that your mental illness or phobia is getting worse.
- You are dealing with or have dealt with serious traumas that weigh you down on a daily basis.
- Your relationship is experiencing problems you don't know how to handle.
- You are struggling with eating disorders (anorexia, bulimia, orthorexia, etc.) or addictions.
3. Get expert care at home
Through a videoconferencing platform like Lemon, a psychology professional can provide follow-up. It's very easy to use, you can quickly create your profile and select a practitioner that suits you!
To ensure an optimal exchange, make sure you:
- have a reliable internet connection,
- are located in a quiet, comfortable, and pleasant environment,
- have the freedom to express yourself freely, without fear of being judged or heard.
Furthermore, remote sessions are subject to the same professional secrecy obligations as in-office sessions. In addition, your psychologist is bound by a strict code of ethics that ensures the safety of his patients. So, your doctor clearly outlines the terms of your treatment, such as the duration and amount of each appointment.
4. Make an appointment in a few clicks
Finding a psychologist online is easy if you follow these steps:
- you can use your mobile device, tablet, or computer to do this,
- choose security and reliability by registering on the French platform Lemon,
- find a practitioner who suits your needs among the many profiles available,
- browse the available times and pick the best time,
- validate your appointment and add it to your schedule,
- you will receive an email confirmation.
With your new account, you will be able to see, modify, or cancel all your appointments instantly. Let's face it, it couldn't be simpler 😉
5. Benefit from online psychologists' attractive fees
Financial constraints can often be a barrier to implementing psychotherapy. People without health insurance typically pay $60 to $120 for an hour-long therapy session. On average, the same consultation with a distance psychologist costs between 30 and 60 dollars.
As a result, you will not only take care of yourself but also save a lot of money! Lastly, Lemon simplifies your life by integrating online payments: you can pay for your interview directly on the platform. 🙂
6. Establish a frequency and duration for your exchanges
Online consultations with psychologists typically last about an hour. These meetings can either be one-offs or constitute regular, long-term follow-ups. Your specialist will determine the frequency and protocol to follow after your first appointment with him or her.
Additionally, remote sessions mimic face-to-face sessions. Digital media provides the closest possible experience to reality through the use of digital media.
7. Do a background check before starting distance psychotherapy
When starting online psychological treatment, make sure your practitioner has the necessary licenses or registrations, in accordance with your country's laws. Most countries regulate psychologists' training to ensure that medical care is adapted to the needs of their patients. Therefore, these rules also apply to web-based specialists.
A psychologist online can help you express yourself freely, from home, and put words to whatever is preventing you from moving forward. Your mental health and well-being depend on being able to talk to a caring and attentive professional. Taking the first step and deciding to stop withdrawing into yourself today can be the beginning of your success. You can get support from thousands of remote practitioners 🙂